Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Language Teaching Class

Student Role-play: an Interview with a Foreign Language Student

Mabel: So, Tom. What do you do for a living?
Tom (who is properly British): (in a fake Spanish accent): Bullfighting. I am matador!

------------------------------------------

Tom: So, where do you come from?
Mabel: I come from Warsaw.
Tom: And how many siblings do you have?
Mabel: I haff 10 sisters and 10 brothers.
Tom: I see. I see. Well, that's quite a lot of siblings you've got there. And uh, your mother? Is she, uh, still alive? After all that...?
Mabel (struggling not to laugh, failing miserably): She died giving birth to my 10th brother.
Tom (trying to keep a straight face): Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Very sorry.
Mabel (cackling) Yes.
Tom: Where do all of your siblings live?
Mabel: They live een one big house in Warsaw.
Tom: I see. And uh, what do they all do... in this one big house?
Mabel: They farm the land and take care of the animals.
Tom: I see, so they are farmers. And do you plan on moving back there? Is that what you want to do?
Mabel: Oh, yes, I'm going to move back.
Tom: And is there something you really like to do there? What's your dream job?
Mabel: Yes, my dream job is to be cow tender. I love the cows. And the milk they produce.

Barbara: Okay, times up!

No comments: